After removing your bandage, gently wash your tattoo with warm water and unscented soap. Pat dry with a towel and apply a light layer of your preferred aftercare balm, such as A+D or Aquaphor. For the next two days, apply thin layers of aftercare balm 2-3 times per day. Then, for the next 1-2 weeks, apply thin layers of unscented lotion to the area as needed. When it comes to lotion for tattoos, less is more. You may notice peeling and flaking throughout the healing process, but don’t panic, this is 100% normal.
Things to consider when caring for your new tattoo:
- DO NOT pick at your tattoo while it is healing, this can cause ink fallout.
- NEVER touch your healing tattoo with unwashed hands.
- AVOID direct sunlight during the healing process and DO NOT apply sunscreen to a healing tattoo.
- AVOID submerging or soaking in water—showers are fine but baths, pools and oceans are a no-no.
- DO NOT shave over a fresh tattoo— wait until it is completely healed.
Neglecting tattoo aftercare can result in infection and harm not only to the tattoo, but to your overall health. If you have aftercare questions or concerns, please contact Inked NYC.
If your artist used tegaderm/saniderm your aftercare will be a bit different. After the tattoo is completed, your artist will apply the film to your tattoo and advise you leave it on for 4-5 days. You may notice liquid forming inside the film, this is excess ink/plasma and is 100% normal. After removing the film, keep tattoo clean for the next 2-3 weeks and apply unscented lotion as needed.
- DO NOT drain the liquid, however, if the film breaks or becomes unsealed, remove the film, clean the tattoo and apply a NEW piece of film
- DO remove film in the shower, this makes it much more comfortable for you and your new tattoo.
While a tattoo is typically healed after 3-4 weeks, it’s important to continue taking care of them. We recommend wearing sunscreen on healed tattoos when in direct sunlight and applying lotion regularly. If you would like to schedule a free touchup, please contact Inked NYC.